This guide for young explorers combines scientific fact, fascinating tidbits, brilliant full-colour photography and sensitive illustrations to bring a wonderful variety of ocean creatures vibrantly to life. Children will enjoy poring over the colourful pages as they:
read about marine habitats like sandy beaches, rocky shores, estuaries, coral reefs and kelp forests
This introduction to the habitats, plants and creatures of the Southern African shores is a celebration of ocean life that sure to become a favourite with beachcombers of all ages
- Discover plant and animal groups, including molluscs, crustaceans, coastal birds, mammals and reptiles, among others
- Learn to identify important species from each group, using picture field-guides
- Study the helpful holiday guides to find out what sea life to look out for along the shore from Walvis Bay to Mozambique
- Find out why the ocean is vital to us, how it may be harmed by human activities and some of the ways in which we can help, and
- Learn about the valuable work that marine scientists do.
This book is available from major South African books stores like Exclusive Books, as well as many on-line stores such as Kalahari. Prices vary, but are around the R100 mark - a very good price given that the book is full of bright colour images. If you know Sophie or Guido personally you can ask them if they have a copy for sale - although, if it involves posting, you're probably better off using an on-line store!
About the authors:
- Dr. Sophie von der Heyden holds a PhD from Oxford University and lectures in marine biology, conservation and genetics at Stellenbosch University. Internationally recognized for her work on southern Africa marine systems, she has published extensively in both academic and popular publications.
- Guido Zsilavecz is a SURG co-founder. He has published two marine identification guides (available from SURG), has contributed to many other marine guides, and also authored and co-authored some scientific papers.